Friday 2 February 2018

#24in48 Readathon Wrap-up January 2018


I hadn't heard of the 24 in 48 Readathon until very recently. Twitter can get me in a bit of reading trouble it seems. The idea is to spend 24 hours of a 48 hour period reading. That seemed easy enough!

Anyway, last week I made a spur of the moment decision to join in. For the first time ever the gods of International Time Zones shone on Australia! Joining in in real time, #24in48 starts at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon, and when you have two more weeks of holidays, and don't have to work on Monday-then the question is why not? 


I perused my shelves and made a quick TBR. Some of it plundered from my #summerreadingstack.





And I started reading at 4pm Saturday. Then I spent a goodly portion of the first two hours napping. 


Still by Hour 3 (and 1h40 of actual reading) I had read my first book. 




Hour 5 (2h10 reading) I finished my second. See my review


In a moment of reading serendipity both of my first two choices were set inside libraries!

I also read some more of my current 1001 read, The Complete Blinky Bill. 



It was late in the evening by this stage, and I wanted something lightish, no heavy nonfiction for me near midnight.

And so I started on my third book. I've been meaning to read it for ages, the movie is coming out next month, and it seemed like the right time. 


It was the perfect book to start, although I was asleep reasonably soon. 

Hour 22 (Sunday 2pm)
5h 38
Lets face it I'm not going to make 24. 

I've had a lovely morning. I'm half way through Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda.

I walked my reading assistants while listening to the Moby Dick Big Read. I've been going for some months, but I'm 60% through now! I read my chapters to keep up with #LesMisReadalong



And I've been allowing myself time to blog too. I've found that frustrating in previous readathons. Rush, rush, rushing with the reading doesn't give me enough time to process what I'm reading, and then I don't enjoy it so much.

I forgot to update after that. Ah well, no system is perfect.

All up I read for 12h50 minutes. I'm pretty happy with that. It was a lovely relaxed weekend. I got quite a bit of reading done. I finished Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda. I finished Blinky Bill. And made a start on The Monkey's Mask. My first adult verse novel.



I'll definitely be joining in for 24in48 again.

No comments: