Thursday 31 August 2017

SLJ's Top 100 Must-Have YA Books

You can only imagine how excited I was to find this list this week. SLJ's 2015 attempt to list the books that would fill out the 100 YA books that (American) librarians should fill their shelves with- as voted by 300 librarians. Naturally, I had to check it out straight away and Listmania it. 


1 Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling (1/7)
2 The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins 
(see my review)
3 Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson
4 The Fault in Our Stars - John Green (see my review)
5 Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell
6 The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak
7 The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie (see my review)
8 Divergent series - Veronica Roth
9 The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky (see my review)
10 Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher
11 Looking for Alaska - John Green
12 Monster - Walter Dean Myers
13 The Giver - Lois Lowry (see my review)
14 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 
15 The Maze Runner - James Dashner
16 Graceling - Kristin Cashore
17 Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein
18 Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
19 Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
20 I’ll Give You the Sun - Jandy Nelson
21 The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton (see my review)
22 If I Stay - Gayle Forman
23 Legend - Marie Lu
24 Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz
25 Feed - M.T. Anderson
26 We Were Liars - E. Lockhart
27 Ender’s Game - Orson Scott Card
28 Crank - Ellen Hopkins 




29 Unwind - Neal Shusterman
30 Cinder - Marissa Meyer
31 Twilight - Stephanie Meyer
32 American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang
33 Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins (see my review)
34 Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli
35 Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys
36 Every Day - David Levithan
37 Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
38 The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien (see my review)
39 The Selection - Kiera Cass
40 A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L’Engle (see my review)
41 Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor
42 Grasshopper Jungle - Andrew Smith
43 Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan
44 City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
45 Eragon - Christopher Paolini
46 The Crossover - Kwame Alexander
47 Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas
48 Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Levithan
49 Winger - Andrew Smith
50 Hatchet - Gary Paulsen (see my review)
51 The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E. Lockhart
52 Wonder - R.J. Palacio (see my review)
53 Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins





54 The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman
55 A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness (see my review)
56 Ash - Malinda Lo
57 Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
58 Sold - Patricia McCormick
59 The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness
60 Brown Girl Dreaming.- Jacqueline Woodson (see my review)
61 Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
62 Matched - Ally Condie
63 Paper Towns - John Green
64 Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson
65 Forever - Judy Blume
66 Gabi, a Girl in Pieces - Isabel Quintero

67 I Am the Messenger - Marcus Zusak (see my review)
68 It’s Kind of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini
69 Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
70 Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo
71 The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey
72 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon
73 Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta
74 Lord of the Flies - William Golding (see my review)
75 Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood - Marjane Satrapi
76 The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
77 The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater
78 An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
79 Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank (see my review)
80 Bone Gap - Laura Ruby
81 Maximum Ride - James Patterson
82 Sabriel - Garth Nix
83 Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli




84 The First Part Last -Angela Johnson
85 The House of the Scorpion - Nancy Farmer
86 The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater
87 Yaqui Delgado Wants To Kick Your Ass - Meg Medina
88 Beauty Queens - Libba Bray
89 Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
90 Delirium - Lauren Oliver
91 Hate List - Jennifer Brown
92 Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
93 A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray
94 A Northern Light - Jennifer Donnelly
95 Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery
96 Ask the Passengers - A.S. King
97 Grave Mercy -Robin LaFevers
98 How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff (see my review)
99 More Happy Than Not - Adam Silvera
100 All American Boys - Jason Reynolds & Brendan Kiely

25/100

June 2018 26/100

2 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

I've read a couple of dozen books on this list, more if you include series as individual books. Nice to see a very few Aussie writers there, though the novels on this list are ones with settings that aren't specifically Australian. Maybe that's why they made it to the list. Americans!

Louise said...

Yes Sue it is nice to see a few Aussie titles there, although as you say some are not particularly Australian settings- certainly The Book Thief and Sabriel aren't. I haven't read On Jellicoe Road, but thought it was a contemporary Australian book, and I have vague memories of a suburban setting in I Am the Messenger.