Thursday 17 November 2016

Twelve Books to Read About Paris

A wonderful Parisian list created for Good Reading September 2015 by Patti Miller, a longtime Paris devote, who wrote Ransacking Paris (see my review).

Patti describes this list as an 'amuse-bouche', and warns us that once you have begun "There is never any ending to Paris." It's far too late for me to read those words, I've been well and truly drawn in by Paris, and indeed there is never any end to Paris for me. 

It does seem that I have lots of reading left to do...


Paris: The Secret History - Andrew Hussey



The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - Victor Hugo

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Suskind

Old Goriot - Honoré de Balzac

Missing Person - Patrick Modiano

Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter or The Mandarins - Simone de Beauvoir

A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery

True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris - Lucinda Holdforth

This is Paris - Miroslav Sasek

Un Peu de Paris - Sempé



Writers in Paris - David Burke

2/12

A particularly dismal effort. I did take both Notre Dame de Paris and The Elegance of the Hedgehog to Paris on different trips but always spend too much time holidaying to get to reading much at all and so they remain unread.

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I have only read one, Moveable Feast. Lots of books to add to my wish list. Thank you, Louise.