Saturday 25 October 2014

Marche biologique Raspail #2

Last year I visited the amazing organic market on Sundays at Boulevard Raspail. It was so good that on our first morning in Paris while still dusting off the jet lag we went again. Last year it was summer, this year late autumn, and it was fascinating to see the seasonal changes at the market.

It was such a celebration of mainly French produce.


So many pumpkins! I'd been lead to believe that the French don't eat pumpkin, but clearly someone does.







I love pumpkin and have been trying it whenever the opportunity presents.

Lots of delicious salmon but better to get someone
to cook it for me 



I love mache!

And mushrooms of all sorts



Beacoup des fleurs





The kale revolution has hit France too it seems

I'm not sure if these are even available in Australia? Physalis. Or particularly what I would do with them if I had them.


I need to buy some of these next time
I did try one growing in a park







Black radish I believe


They had amazing yellow tomatoes too
and cooked beetroot sitting out!
So much delicious cheese on offer. 





The St Felicien and Fourme d'Ambert
were amazing.
Some things remained untried

Not sure that I'm brave enough

HA!
Clearly some produce is imported



Best pineapple I've ever tasted- from Togo

Checking out a market in Paris is always worthwhile. Whichever one is near you. 

Dreaming of France is a wonderful Monday meme
from Paulita at An Accidental Blog 

Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme
 now hosted by 
WestMetroMommy

13 comments:

Brona said...

I shouldn't have looked at this post while I was trying to work out what to do for dinner!
Now I just want Paris!!

I did a quick google of the Physalis; apparently it's part of the nightshade family, sometimes also called cape gooseberry or ground cherry, somewhat like a tomato & can be used in the same savoury/sweet way a tomato could be. Not all varieties are edible :-)

BooksPlease said...

Oh my goodness what a lot of lovely produce - so much choice, my mouth is watering at the thought of it all.

Unknown said...

You're making me hungry! I love all of the market photos. What a joy it must be to wander through there. Have a great weekend!

Sean @ His And Her Hobbies said...

That market looks amazing. I don't know why people don't eat pumpkin. They don't eat it here in America either unless its in a pie for Thanksgiving. I could spend a small fortune and gain several kgs in the cheese section.

Sean at His and Her Hobbies

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

I'm hungry now! The cheese, the wine - yum! Your pictures show the beauty that can be found everywhere, even in food markets!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I am now very hungry, even though I just ate breakfast! Thanks for sharing....and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

B Reading said...

I love French markets or European food markets, they are wonderful. Those photos are making me hungry.

Ginx Craft said...

What a wonderful market. I don't think there is anywhere else in the world you would see cheese like that.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Looks like there's something for everyone at that market! I enjoyed your colorful photos of beautiful eats. My husband and I hope to visit Paris in the next few years, and we'll be sure to set aside plenty of time to explore the market.
Sandy @Texas Twang

Joy said...

What an abundance of beautiful offerings! And a great way to begin a vacation in Paris.

Joy's Book Blog

Kristen said...

That is a gorgeous array of produce. Good thing I've already eaten or I'd be rummaging dispiritedly in my own fridge and finding nothing as appealing as all of this.

Satia said...

My mother started watering. So many choices. I totally would have been brave enough because that photo made me curious. And some of the cheeses . . . I wish photos came with aroma!

Susan said...

It all looks so beautiful!