Wednesday 11 September 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 11/9/13


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a fabulous weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion, where we share new (to us) words that we've encountered in our weekly reading.

This weeks words are from my recent reading of Lost Cat

1. Rumspringa (Noun)

Maybe Tibby had gine to Antarctica, or on rumspringa, or a kitty walkabout. 

A period of adolescence for some members of the Amish community during which a youth temporarily leaves the community to experience life in the outside world. Wiki


2. Redacted (Verb)

The names have been redacted because everyone is innocent until proven guilty. 


i) Edit (text) for publication. 
ii) Censor or obscure (part of a text) for legal or security purposes. Google. 



Picture source

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wouldn't have been able to come up with rumspringa on my own, but I knew what it meant when I saw it. It's kind of a fun word to say!

Joy said...

I knew redacted for some reason, but rumspringa is completely new to me. Interesting!

Joy's Book Blog

Stacy at The Novel Life said...

Rumspringa is such a fun word! Wonder if one can go on a rumspringa as an adult, non-Amish... ;-D

Julia Tomiak said...

Thank you! I've been trying to remember the word for that Amish tradition! And I knew redact- perfect photo for it!

Anonymous said...

I knew redacted,good words.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/09/wondrous-words-wednesday_11.html

Anonymous said...

Today as part of my writing activities, I had to write for five minutes about random words found in the dictionary. Your selections would have made fun words to play with too.

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

We hear the word 'redacted' a lot here in the US. Love the illustration, that about sums it up too!

Margot said...

From all the Amish books I've read I knew the first word. You'd think with all the legal thrillers I read I'd know the second, but I didn't. Good ones, Louise.