Saturday 17 December 2011

The Ibis that ate Sydney

I lived in Sydney for nearly 10 years in the late 80s and 90s. I don't think I remember any ibis then. They're certainly there now- and they do appear to be taking over. The Australian White Ibis is an intriguing looking bird.

They were everywhere on my recent trip to Sydney

Drinking water in puddles- note there is actually shadow here!

Hanging out preening in gardens


Sitting in trees (there's three)

They seem to like to take in the major tourist sites
Adorning statues

Outside the Chinese Gardens


Out the back of St Mary's (the first time I noticed their funky feet and their really ugly bald neck)

On the Domain

Supervising the outdoor chess game in Hyde Park (the first time I noticed some of them are tagged)

Wherever you were going there was one going that way too

Joining you for breakfast


Overlooking your lunch
Hunkering down in the wet

Most of the time there was only one or two


But sometimes there were heaps


I've since found out that there is an Australian White Ibis Survey. I've now made a small contribution towards it, and have forwarded my (accidental) photos of banded birds. 

Saturday Snapshot, is a wonderful weekly meme from at home with books

10 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Gorgeous and rather endearing. Bless 'em for selecting such a decent place to live!

...wonder if any of them have taken the ferry to Manly or across to see some distant rellies at Taronga?

Alyce said...

They are rather strange looking, but I do think large birds are fascinating. I wouldn't have seen the ones in the tree had you not pointed them out.

edgar said...

I stayed once in a hotel in Sidney called Ibis Hotel. I read about the bird, ibis, in The Dovekeepers.
Now I see it/them in your photos.
One writer said that her father gave her one advice: Learn one thing every day.
I like the photos.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

These birds are lovely Louise.

Trish said...

They're marching around like they own the place lol.

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful photos of wonderful birds...Really enjoyed looking at them!

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

They do have the perfect beak for scratching :)

Marie said...

Great photos! They look like they're everywhere. That's some beak.

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

Enjoyed your Ibis Tour. Interesting looking bird. I hope they are friendly and not too messy, they do seem to be everywhere, kind of like our geese.

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit scared of them to be honest. They become rather pushy if you're eating around them and quite intimidating.

We stopped for a picnic once in Queens Park in Healesville. There were so many of them that we gave up and left.

I remember entering a drawing competition (huh!) for the Gould League of Bird Lovers and I drew a straw necked ibis. It was quite exotic and rare then!