Friday 19 August 2016

I Need a Hug



I'm doing a really bad job of trying to read the CBCA nominated titles this year (see the Shortlist here). The winners are announced at midday today! And I haven't even managed to get through the picture books. C'est la vie I suppose.

I Need a Hug is a delightful picture book for the very youngest children, by the ever present Aaron Blabey, letting us know that everyone needs some kindness and affection sometimes. No matter how prickly


Picture Source




or slithery they are.




I Need a Hug was an Early Childhood Notable Book this year. Here is a terrific profile on Aaron Blabey, showing his cute little studio in the Blue Mountains which is full of music and musical inspiration.


Aaron feels lucky to have a job as a writer. "Our job is to make something out of nothing" and that what he does is simply "Me walking around thinking up stuff and then trying not get in the way of it". Rather incredibly his first book, Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, was written on toilet paper (toilet paper that is now framed and on his wall)!

4 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

Ack, Te winners announced already? I'm just finishing up the Older Readers with the Vikki Wakefield book.

Louise said...

At least you're finishing up the category! That's a great effort.

Brona said...

I managed to read about 3/4 of the lists but I do work in a bookshop 😊

I'm sure love Blabeys new picture book about a koala with attitude!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I like the idea of making something out of nothing. In a way, it's what we all do.