Friday 16 January 2015

Time Magazine's The 100 Best Young Adult Books of all Time

I do love a new book list. Especially when they come with a bit of controversy.

Time Magazine released two book lists this week, this one featuring the 100 Best Young Adult Books of All Time, and a companion list that I will be featuring soon of the 100 Best Childrens Books of All Time. Yes, whenever superlatives are used like that they are somewhat over the top, and naturally that is the case here. But people will always argue about books included and excluded from any list.

This list has come in for some predictable criticism about the fact that many of the books are not actually Young Adult books at all. Which is quite true. Many of them have appeal to younger, "middle grade" children. Time could have just given the list a different name.

A more important criticism has been raised about the rather caucasian nature of the list. Laurie Halse Anderson has said that she is horrified to be included in the list, she doesn't want to be included in a list of predominantly white authors, she doesn't want to be part of that, she wants to be part of change. The We Need Diverse Books Campaign is seeking to address these imbalances. Seven of the authors, representing 9 books, are authors of colour. To my considerable shame I haven't read any of those books. However, I haven't seen anyone mention that one of them, Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian sits at #1. Which I do think is significant.

The list is also (of necessity perhaps) rather American-centric. Two Australians made the list- Marcus Zusak and Garth Nix.


1. Sherman Alexie - The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (see my review)




2. J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter (series) (read 1/7)

3. Marcus Zusak - The Book Thief

4. Madeleine L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time (see my review)

5. E.B. White - Charlotte's Web

6. Louis Sachar - Holes (see my review)

7. Roald Dahl - Matilda

8. S.E. Hinton - The Outsiders (see my review)

9. Norton Juster - The Phantom Tollbooth

10. Lois Lowry - The Giver (see my review)

11. Judy Blume - Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (see my review)

12. Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird

13. Mildred Taylor - Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (see my review)




14. L.M. Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables

15. C.S. Lewis - The Chronicles of Narnia (read 2 1/2 of 7)

16. Walter Dean Myers - Monster




17. Philip Pullman - The Golden Compass

18. Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl (see my review)

19. E.L. Konigsburg - From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (see my review)

20. John Green - Looking for Alaska

21. Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

22. Laura Ingalls Wilder - Little House on the Prairie (series) (read Farmer Boy)

23. Kate DiCamillo - The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

24. R.J. Palacio - Wonder (see my review)

25. T.H. White - The Sword in the Stone

26. J.D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye

27. Louisa May Alcott - Little Women

28. Mark Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

29. J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit (see my review)

30. Frank L. Baum - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

31. William Golding - The Lord of the Flies (see my review)

32. Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

33. Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

34. Katherine Paterson - Bridge to Terabithia

35. Jack London - The Call of the Wild (see my review)

36. John Knowles - A Separate Peace

37. Louise Fitzhugh - Harriet the Spy (see my review)

38. Robert Cormier - The Chocolate War (see my review)

39. Katherine Paterson - Jacob Have I Loved

40. Lemony Snicket - A Series of Unfortunate Events (series) (read 1/7)

41. Gary Paulsen - Hatchet (see my review)

42. J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings

43. M.T. Anderson - Feed

44. Michael Scott - The Alchemyst (read 5/6) (see my review)

45. William Goldman - The Princess Bride

46. Beverly Cleary - Beezus & Ramona

47. Edgar Rice Burroughs - Tarzan of the Apes

48. Esther Forbes - Johnny Tremain

49. Ellen Raskin - The Westing Game

50. Kenneth Grahame - The Wind in the Willows (see my review)

51. Laurie Halse Anderson - Speak

52. P.L. Travers - Mary Poppins

53. John Green - The Fault in Our Stars (see my review)

54. Jennifer Donnelly - A Northern Light

55. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings - The Yearling

56. Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games (series) (see my review)

57. Kimberly Brubaker Bradley - For Freedom

58. Peter Sis - The Wall

59. Patrick Ness - A Monster Calls (see my review)

60. Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson & The Olympians (series)

61. Ray Bradbury - The Illustrated Man

62. Marilyn Nelson - A Wreath for Emmett Till




63. David Leviathan - Every Day

64. John Corey Whaley - Where Things Come Back

65. Lois Lowry - Number the Stars

66. Craig Thompson - Blankets

67. Michael Morpurgo - Private Peaceful (see my review)

68. Elizabeth George Speare - The Witch of Blackbird Pond

69. Francesca Lia Block - Dangerous Angels

70. Andrew Clements - Frindle

71. Gene Luen Yang - Boxers & Saints

72. Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book (see my review)

73. Isabel Allende - City of the Beasts




74. Gene Yuen Lang - American Born Chinese




75. Frances Hardinge - The Lost Conspiracy

76. Diana Wynne Jones - Dogsbody

77. Paul Zindel - The Pigman

78. Watt Key - Alabama Moon

79. Pam Munoz Ryan - Esperanza Rising




80. Patrick Ness - The Knife of Never Letting Go

81. Cecil Castellucci - Boy Proof

82. Walter Dean Myers - Fallen Angels

83. Richard Hughes - A High Wind in Jamaica

84. Kate DiCamillo - The Tiger Rising

85. Rebecca Stead - When You Reach Me

86. Hilary McKay - Saffy's Angel

87. Susan Cooper - The Grey King

88. Robert C. O'Brien - Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

89. Cornelia Funke - The Thief Lord

90. Trenton Lee Stewart - The Mysterious Benedict Society

91. Brian Selznick - The Invention of Hugo Cabret (see my review)

92. Garth Nix - Sabriel

93. Jodi Lynn Anderson - Tiger Lily

94. Pseudonymous Bosch - Secret (series)

95. Ursula K. Le Guin - A Wizard of Earthsea

96. Edgar Allan Poe - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

97. Chris Crutcher - Whale Talk

98. Lloyd Alexander - The Chronicles of Prydain (series)

99. Roald Dahl - Danny the Champion of the World

100. Stephenie Meyer - Twilight (series)

44/100

I am impressed by how many of these books that are new to me.

#47 was originally listed as Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials, but this was a duplication with #17 The Golden Compass.

September 2015 45/100

October 2015 46/100

June 2016 47/100

April 2017 48/100

July 2017 49/100

No comments: