Monday 14 July 2014

Bastille Day/Feu d'Artifice du 14 Juillet 2013

It seems almost impossible memory now but exactly a year ago today I was in Paris, enjoying my first Bastille Day celebrations. Of course the Bastille Day celebrations actually begin the day before, with the very fun Bal des Pompiers.

In the afternoon of Bastille Day we joined the rest of Paris picnicking on the Champ de Mars waiting for the fireworks spectacular at the Eiffel Tower. 



It wasn't that crowded when we got there late afternoonish

But there was a large police presence at the ready as always

The crowd building by the minute

The iron lady waiting

decked out in her patriotic finery



Everyone was hot

still there were consolations

and eventually it did get dark

and the wonderful light and fireworks show
Le Feu d'Artifice du 14 Juillet
started

I was hoping that there would be fireworks
on the Eiffel Tower herself
like they often do at New Year

but they were behind her instead
everyone stood up in their excitement
and it got hard to see at times

Apparently a nod to South Africa not a gay pride rainbow

As with most events you can sit home and watch it on the tele or your computer screen and get a better view- check out the show we watched here. Still the atmosphere was remarkable, and the whole event rather memorable. And if I never get to do this again, I did it in 2013. 

Don't plan to do anything but walk home



Dreaming of France is a wonderful Monday meme
from Paulita at An Accidental Blog

8 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

What great photos! I have had the pleasure of experiencing the Paris Bastille Day celebration on a few occasions & it is memorable .....happy Bastille Day to you too!

Sim Carter said...

Splendid! I've only been to France a few times but one of them was during the 1989 bicentennial celebrations which were amazing. Huge parade, tons of people squished liked sardines. Along with the fireworks there were little firecrackers that people were tossing into the crowded streets. We had a real blast, so much so that a small burn sent me to one of the Croix Rouge tents. I've still got the tiny scar on my leg and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Thanks for taking me back:)

Paulita said...

Some day soon, I plan to be in France for Bastille Day. I've only been there once before and that was in Corsica -- not quite the same. Also, I've decided for the rest of my life, to always take the opportunity to see the fireworks in person rather than watching them on television, so I'm glad you camped out and waited for them. It is kind of annoying that the pictures show so many cell phone screens, but since I would be taking pictures with my cell phone too, I guess I couldn't get too mad at everyone else.
Great post. Thanks for playing along. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

Joy said...

Fun! Happy Bastille Day! That was quite a crowd.

Joy's Book Blog

Esme said...

This would be so much fun.

Anonymous said...

The fireworks are magnificent. Glad you were there a year ago to share with us the memories now. I was in Paris four years ago. Hope one day I can revisit. But for now, I'm satisfied with just taking virtual tours through lovely Paris in July blog posts such as yours.

Brona said...

I've been loving your Paris photos over the past year, Louise, but these would have to be some of my favourites.
I just feel like I've had an afternoon in the hot sun, sipping champagne with a crowd of French folk waiting for the big event - magic :-)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What beautiful fireworks those are!