Saturday 19 April 2014

Macquarie Island

I was very thrilled to hear this story on Radio National recently that the program to eradicate rats, rabbits and mice from Macquarie Island has been successful. I've been interested in Macquarie Island for sometime. I read One Small Island back in 2012.

When I was last in Hobart in 2012 I spent a lovely morning at the Hobart Botanic Gardens, where I saw ducklings on lilypads. I also visited a very special, but rather nondescript looking building, tucked away in a corner of the gardens.

The Australian Antarctic Foundation
Subantarctic Plant House


An unwanted legacy no longer!



It was early and I had to find a staff member to unlock it for me. I'm so glad I did. Walking through the door is actually like stepping onto a rocky outcrop on Macquarie Island. 









The Subantarctic Plant House is an amazing place to visit- one of the best garden displays I've ever seen. It's cold and misty inside to replicate the environment for the plants, and they've recorded bird, wind, weather and animal noises on Macquarie Island so you get an idea of what it's like to be there.  It's as close to Macquarie Island as I've ever been. As near as you can be to Macquarie Island without actually going there.

Like any good display, they teach us stuff too. 





Macquarie Island is a special and remote place. Sadly I've never been there, but maybe one day when I go to Antarctica I will. I hope so at least.

Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme
 now hosted by 
WestMetroMommy

16 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful exhibit that I would never have seen if you hadn't posted your photos, Louise. Thank you so much!!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

How surprising to find oneself visiting another continent unexpectedly! Thanks for taking me along, Louise.

Here's my Saturday Snapshot.

Jackie McGuinness said...

We dealt with an investment firm from Australia called Macquarie???

Brona said...

What an amazing discovery Louise. I love it when a trip away turns up something unexpected and meaningful.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Awesome shots! And what a lovely discovery. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

Sandra Nachlinger said...

What a delightful combination of art and live plants. Like you, I take photos of signs that tell me what I'm seeing -- for future reference! I hope you're able to visit Macquarie Island in person soon.
My Saturday Snapshot is HERE.

Sandra Nachlinger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Beautiful pics!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

What a unique art project. Love it!

Sean @ His And Her Hobbies said...

That looks awesome. I haven't been to Tassie yet but hopefully some day I will. This would be a great place to visit.

Sean at His and Her Hobbies

Joy said...

What a great educational space. I love the way the plants blend with the mural and that they have sound to go with it.

Joy's Book Blog

Susan Lindquist said...

Great post! So much information here today!

Bev Hankins said...

I love the picture with the wooden walkway! And the mural is spectacular.

I've been away from Saturday Snapshot for a while. I'd love for you to stop by my post.

Paulita said...

Louise, Truly lovely. What a great story. Here's Mine

Tamara said...

Fantastic exhibition. Thank you so much for posting this. My grandmother had some connection to working with Mawsons office (Im not sure of the details) but I love hearing snippets about the man. Your photo of the sign about him helping to stop the destrcution of penguins is aneye opener to the man. I have been to Tassie for both work and pleasure and never been here - Would love to take the man to see this too! Awesome piece of Aussie Histroy.

Anonymous said...

Isn't is surprising where one can find beauty? The mural is breathtaking and makes me wish I could visit Macquarie Island. How terrific that the environment has also been replicated for the plants. The atmosphere with its recorded sounds also sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!