Saturday 15 February 2014

A l'Etoile d'Or

I'm so saddened tonight by the news from Paris that the iconic Denise Acabo and her beloved A l'Etoile d'Or  suffered a terrible subterranean gas explosion, and on Valentine's Day of all days.

Back in 2010 we made a pilgrimage to A l'Etoile d'Or.

Not far from the Moulin Rouge

is A l'Etoile d'Or 
30 rue Fontaine 75009

Run by the irrepressible Denise Acabo,
the sweetest woman in Paris 

It is a genuine treasure trove of delights 

from all over France

A l'Etoile d'or was the sole agent for the exalted Bernachon in Paris


You can watch a video of David Lebovitz visiting Denise. 



She is so full of energy, and so delightful, charming and enthusiastic with every one of her customers. I hope Denise was not injured, nor any of her customers, and that she and her store recover fully from this.

Update July 2014 by David Lebovitz- progress is slow, and it is uncertain whether or not A l'Etoile d'Or will reopen or not.

Update October 2015 by David Lebovitz- the happy news we've all bee waiting for, A l'Etoile d'Or will reopen on November 3 2015. 

Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme now hosted by WestMetroMommy

Dreaming of France is a wonderful Monday meme
from Paulita at An Accidental Blog

13 comments:

skiourophile said...

Oh no - that's so sad: I do hope she is alright. I went there and had a lovely time a few years back. Such a treasure chest of delights - I bought the nicest caramels.

Unknown said...

So sad to hear that. Hope everyone was ok.

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Oh too sad!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

What a delightful shop! I hope it survived the explosion and everyone is safe.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Let's hope all recover quickly and the shop is open again soon.

Susan Lindquist said...

This is sad news, indeed! I hope people weren't hurt!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Oh! That is sad! I repeat what everyone has said, I hope all is ok.

Anonymous said...

I must go back and visit the places I'd missed. But hopefully this place still stands after the explosion and that it will be rebuilt.

Paulita said...

Yikes! Scary times for everyone.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I can see why you are dreaming of France.

bermudaonion said...

Oh how sad. I have a feeling she will come back from that.

Ali said...

Such a lovely shop. I sure hope that nobody was severely injured.

Esme said...

Wow how shocking-she is supposed to be okay. Thank goodness no-one died.