Wednesday 7 August 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 7/8/13




Wondrous Words Wednesday is a fabulous weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion, where we share new (to us) words that we've encountered in our weekly reading.

Some fantastic wondrous words from my recent reading of the Australian classic, The Magic Pudding.

1. Sockdolager

'If punching parrots on the beak wasn't too painful for pleasure, I'd land you a sockdolager on the muzzle that'd lay you out till Christmas.'

i) A conclusive blow or remark.
ii) Something outstanding






2. Poltroon

'You're a poltroon,' shouted Bill.

A wretched coward.
An abject or contemptible coward.




Definitions from the free dictionary.

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Those words are fun to say! I wonder if I can figure out a way to use sockdolager today. I love the illustrations too!

Margot said...

I really like poltroon. The other day I was thinking that we don't seem to talk/read about or use cowardice much anymore. I'm not sure why. Something to think about. I also want to find out more about this Australian classic. Just the title alone has me curious.

Julia Tomiak said...

Such fun and silly words. Poltroon sounds like what it is!!

Anonymous said...

Very humorous words.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

Jeanie said...

I love this post! Just went to a farewell reception for a colleague returning to his home in Australia. Part of the decorations was a big board with the expressions and translations. I wish I'd copied them down -- they were great!

Parisbreakfasts said...

Natch my dyslexic brain read it as the Fr potiron which I always want to call pot-iron
Who did the wonderful drawings?
The Fr word I learned this week among others is for thorn = epine.
And there is no equivalent Fr expression for ''a thorn in the side'
You have to say something long and drawn out like,
'C'est une source d'irritation constante pour lui'
It figures...

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

A lot of words in Magic Pudding were new to me. Glad to see some were new to you, too.