Wednesday 28 August 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 28/8/13


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a fabulous weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion, where we share new (to us) words that we've encountered in our weekly reading.

Today I don't have any new words from my reading to share for Wondrous Words Wednesday, but heard this wonderful discussion on the radio and thought I would share it with other word fans. I heard snippets of this on Radio National twice this week, although it was first broadcast in May. I had to search it out and listen to the whole thing.

Why Read Dictionaries was a session at the Sydney Writers Festival earlier this year and happily recorded for us to all enjoy. A delightful conversation between crossword compiler David Astle and author Mark Forsythe. Just click on the Download Audio button to share the joy.

The introduction alone introduces many wonderful words, possibly may favourite being groak. It turns out that I'd seen groaking in action for many years, but never known that there was a word for it.

Groak. Verb. Look or stare at longingly. Free dictionary.
To watch someone eating in the hope they will offer food. Urban dictionary.

Multispecies groaking in 2001

It's a beautiful discussion, and a very enjoyable way to spend half an hour. Very broad ranging from Capucin monks to Spam and Yakuza (although they suggest the etymology slightly incorrectly). Perhaps we should all read the dictionary a bit more often, maybe it's more fun than our school day memories would suggest?

Mark Forsyths' captivating blog The Inky Fool is also pleasantly diverting.

5 comments:

Stacy at The Novel Life said...

your post, picture, and "groak" made me smile! The picture alone is priceless but when you add groaking to it ~ well, I'll be laughing about that one all day!

Jeanie said...

I just love this photo. Makes me smile and sad at the same time.

Julia Tomiak said...

The photo is adorable and your clever caption made me smile. Why read the dictionary when we can get cool pictures like this to help words stick in our heads. I'll remember groak, thanks to you!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture and the word definition.

bermudaonion said...

I love, love, love the photo you included - it will help me remember the definition!