Saturday 20 October 2012

Federation Square

I hated Federation Square when it was newly built. I thought it was gawdy and awful. Perhaps it was the shock of the new. Perhaps it's grown on me. Perhaps I've just become used to it. Fed Square hosted the recent Melbourne Writers Festival, so I spent quite a bit of time there. It's a great place to hold an event like that. Lots of different rooms of varying sizes in ready proximity, and so close to transport. Trams and trains right on the corner.

You can sneak the odd quiet spot,
but usually it's pretty packed

Although some folks manage solitude wherever they happen to be

The wildlife has adapted too

They have book fairs each weekend
I happened upon the monthly kids book fair
And found a couple of bargains!

I like how they sneak in lots of fun

I didn't know what these things were

But the kids were intrigued

So I peeked too.
Fabulous. A window into another world. 
There were quite a few, every one was different
There's always lots to see and do.

These ladies burst into an Andrews Sisters style song
 while I was queueing for a Writers Festival Event
They were amazing.
And the Foyer of ACMI made a natural amphitheatre, it was really beautiful.

You can peer into the National Gallery of Victoria where
they were having a tattoo exhibition
complete with a live tatto booth!
He was always busy whenever I happened by. 

The Laughter Club of Victoria in action

Saturday Snapshot, is a wonderful weekly meme from at home with books

18 comments:

Christine Harding said...

What an amazing place. The viewer with the pictures is like one of those old 'What the Butler Saw' peep shows they used to have on seaside piers. My Snapshot is a lighthouse without a light! http://goo.gl/LAoN2

Cipriano said...

What great pics.
I know I too would have gazed into the things that those youths are monopolizing on there.
Ahh, that photo of the singers reminds me of Manhatten Transfer.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

When there are so many activities and things to see, one can overlook the austere buildings. Thanks for sharing.

Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

Barbara said...

What an interesting building with so much going on. I would love to come upon the Andrew Sisters or the Laughing Club! How great is that!
Here's my photos:
http://barbarathehealthynut.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-rest-from-green.html

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

Nice tour of the things we often overlook. And you make Federation Square look good! I suppose after a while it does begin to look normal. When I saw it as a tourist, it really stood out as... ummm... unique!

Anonymous said...

That certainly is an architecture that needs adapting and getting used to. But seems like everyone is just enjoying it. Very interesting photos. I don't have photos today, but something very different. ;)

Bev Hankins said...

What an amazing bunch of pictures. I love the geometric look of the building. And the "Andrews Sister" group is fun. thanks for stopping by!

Ginx Craft said...

What great pictures. Looks like a really fun place to go.

Sim Carter said...

Heritage Square looks pretty amazing to me...so much going on too!

westmetromommy said...

That looks like a really fascinating place!

Alyce said...

Such an adventure into the unusual! It's neat how the whole place incorporates so many odd angles.

Irene said...

What a spectacular venue, great fun.

bermudaonion said...

There's plenty going on there! I want to belong to a laughter club.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

WOW...looks like such a great place to experience:) great photos

Brona said...

I've yet to check out Fed Square on one of my Melb visits - you've intrigued me now. And a book fair on the weekends...sounds like me!

Paulita said...

That looks like a place you could spend all day. I'd love to be part of a laughing club. Here's Mine

Marg said...

There was so much controversy when it was being built, but you don't hear many detractors anymore. There is always so much to do. It's a great public space.

Martha Eskuchen said...

Looks like you had fun and you saw glaciers too. :-)