Saturday 29 September 2012

Surprising Melbourne

I always love going to Melbourne. I love the known and the unknown of it. Some things you know will happen, and they will be wonderful. Some things are unexpected, and also wonderful. I knew the Melbourne Writers Festival would be fantastic. I didn't know that I'd go in for a bit of big game hunting.

I used to visit Melbourne quite often.

Now I only get to visit once in a Blue Moon
Some things stay the same.

They're crazy about football in Melbourne
While some things are new.
A Paris style bike hire scheme
but in Melbourne you can hire helmets too
 They seem incapable of designing a new building that has flat walls.



Glimpses of spring


Asparagus!

 Sometimes you see a massive goose in the city for no apparent reason!



I've seen this guy before- in the middle of nowhere in NSW.
Instantly recognisable in his wacky racers garb

Sometimes you find a little unexpected flash of France

Joan of Arc stands guard
 at the entrance to the State Library of Victoria

While I saw a real peacock at Melbourne Zoo, there were lots of peacock hued girls. Fashion?




Or advertising?



Saturday Snapshot, is a wonderful weekly meme from at home with books

22 comments:

Book Savvy Babe said...

What fun photos, looks like you had a wonderful time in Melbourne. Your Blue Moon picture is stunning, by the way :) And, I'm thinking the pink haired girl may want to re-think wearing read and black leggings... just saying... My Saturday Snapshot is over at Book Savvy Babe

Marg said...

Fun post about Melbourne!

There certainly do seem to be quite a lot of .... unusual.... new buildings in Melbourne at the moment!

Lisa said...

Great pictures! Such a nice variety of things, too -- really gives you a feel for the streets.

Cipriano said...

Some serious water retention going on in that second shot.
And I love the symmetry of those bicycles.
Asparagus. I soooooo love asparagus, but wow, does it ever make my _ _ _ smell funny. [For those who aren't too good at fill-in-the-blanks, the word is "pee"].
And that duck is all "Dang it. Did I forget my wallet again?"

Brona said...

I love Melbourne architecture - even their freeways have an aesthetic appeal these days!

the magnolia in bloom against the buildings is lovely - Spring in the city always seems so fragile somehow.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

How great these are. Those bunches of asparagus are gigantic.

Paulita said...

I'm jealous that you are having spring with asparagus in season. The first shot of the moon is lovely and the buildings are very strange. Thanks for a glimpse into another world. Here's Mine

Christine Harding said...

What wonderful snapshots of the city - and that first picture of the moon and the tree is glorious. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/DncFP

Kaye said...

These are such great shots! I really liked the blue moon shot - just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Trish said...

Thank you for that wonderful tour! It's always so interesting for us here in North America to see springtime in September.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What an array of fun shots! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. Enjoy your weekend.

Carol said...

Great photos.

The blue moon is almost haunting. Would make a great book cover.

carol

Alyce said...

I love the lead-in to that last movie image, with all of the colorful hair photos! Made me chuckle.

Anonymous said...

These photos are exquisite. While I like all of them, there's one I'm particularly impressed with... the first. That's one beautiful, unique shot!

Sim Carter said...

What a wonderful post. I agree that the first picture so cleverly captioned once in a blue moon is gorgeous but I loved your quirky comments and glimpes about the things that surprised you. Those footballers were hysterical and the architecture is calling me to visit.

Irene said...

I'm so thinking, Blue Moon, these days. Love the Peacocks too.

Lmkazmierczak said...

Enjoyed reading your blog today...that 'blue moon' was gorgeous♫♪

Esme said...

What a great overview of Melbourne. It has been 20 years since I was there-I remember it as being a very cosmopolitan city.

Susan Lindquist said...

Hahah! What a GREAT photo essay! Fashion? Nahhhh!

Nise' said...

Awesome shots. I especially like the first one of the moon.

Laura BurgandyIce said...

What a fun stroll thru Melbourne!! I like the peacock girl styles. I wish I would dye my hair something wild and blue, but my mid-schoolers are nervous enough about "mom". Lol.

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

People watching is always fun in the city. What I remember most about Melbourne is all the delightful coffee shops. They were everywhere and they were wonderful!